63° Marion, MA

The Log

The Student News Site of Tabor Academy

The Log

The Log

Tabor’s Chess TX: Where Strategy Meets Community

The chess TX at Tabor is where beginner and experienced chess players gather to play and improve at the sport of chess. The TX is led by Tabor X Program Coordinator Mr. Matthew Sandefer and English Teacher Mr. Chris McEnroe, joined by Vince Suh ‘24 as a student leader, and serves as a fun environment where you can eat snacks, learn new chess strategies, and play chess against your friends.  

A typical session usually involves an opening for the day, in which players pair up to study the chessboard. Famous games played by chess grandmasters that used the same opening are also sometimes shown and reviewed. Mr. Sandefer provides insightful analysis, while Mr. McEnroe is always willing to extend a helping hand. Afterward, players will use the opening in their games against each other, mimicking strategies to gain an advantage over their opponent. The day ends with ladder matches. Each player is assigned a rating based on their experience in chess and then can either move up and down the ladder based on who they win or lose to. Players can move up the rating throughout the year demonstrating their growth. Currently, Vince, Mohammed, and Grady are our top 3 in the ladder, however many other players are rising through the ranks.  

Chess TX started last year when the TX program was introduced, but it wasn’t always as lively, says Mohammed, 2-year Chess TX veteran.  

He noted, “Before, only a couple of students would show up, and we just played until our time was finished.”   

However, determined to expand the group, members shared the club with friends and it grew from 9 to 16 members! TX members now are engaged and look forward to their next meetings. 

When it comes to the future of Chess TX, Mr. Sandefer offers some insight. He wants all members to have official ratings through Chess.com. This will provide an accurate representation of every player’s skill and allow for personalized assistance from member to member. Mr. Sandefer also wants to participate in tournaments involving other schools. Members would gain valuable tournament experience with other players. It would also provide something for members to train and look forward to. Ultimately, the Chess TX is still a new and aspiring club with a strong community of members. 

Donate to The Log

Your donation will support the student journalists of Tabor Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.