59° Marion, MA

The Log

The Student News Site of Tabor Academy

The Log

The Log

Tabor Academy’s United for Ukraine continues to support the people of Ukraine  

As the second anniversary of the war in Ukraine approaches, on February 24, 2024, it brings us to reflect on the devastating impacts of the ongoing conflict. Despite a lack of presence in mainstream media, the profound effect on the lives of millions of Ukrainians remains ever-present. The terrifying attack on Kyiv on December 30 and other recent occurrences are vivid reminders of the severity of the situation.   

Witnessing such horrors firsthand during this winter break underscores the urgency for taking action and supporting the Ukrainian people. As an air attack began on my city, I sought shelter in the subway station, only to find myself surrounded by about 50 other Ukrainians, including small children and even pets, gathered together for safety. That night, Russia launched 122 missiles and dozens of drones against Ukraine, killing at least 30 civilians across the country and injuring more than 150 others. The war is ongoing and getting worse in many regions.   

Last year, United for Ukraine’s Inaugural Bake Sale marked the first year of the war, raising $742.50 in less than two hours. This year, the group hopes to exceed that number and donate the proceeds to United24, an organization created by the President of Ukraine, to raise donations for medical and military aid and the rebuilding of Ukraine.   

This year’s bake sale will begin at 8:30 am on Friday, March 1, in front of the International Center. (Please note the date change.) There will be a variety of delicious treats, including chocolate chip cookies, brownies, banana bread, and cupcakes, and there will also be some popular Ukrainian treats available.   

Even from over 4000 miles away, the Tabor community can support Ukraine by participating in the bake sale or by contributing directly to United24. 

Donate to The Log

Your donation will support the student journalists of Tabor Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.