59° Marion, MA

The Log

The Student News Site of Tabor Academy

The Log

The Log

Embracing Beloved Community: Tabor’s Meaningful Celebration of MLK Day

Tabor SMAC
Tabor’s very own Celebration Gospel Choir preforms to conclude our program on MLK Jr. Day.

As Tabor prepares to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Monday, January 15, the campus is gearing up for a day of reflection, gratitude, and a collective sense of belonging. The theme for the day is the “beloved community,” inspired by Dr. King’s vision of a “society where individuals, regardless of their race or background, unite in a spirit of love, understanding, and cooperation.”
The day will begin with a chapel session, where we will hear from various community members, including speakers from the teaching staff, faculty, and students. Additionally, the day will honor distinguished alumni with the Alumni Humanitarian Award, recognizing their outstanding contributions to fostering a sense of community and humanity. This will be followed by the voices of Tabor’s Gospel Choir. Debby Perry, one of our beloved community and dining hall staff members, emphasizes the importance of connection within the community. She encourages students to get to know one another, affirming that a simple greeting can brighten someone’s day. Reflecting on her experiences, she will share the impact of small acts of kindness from her position as a part of the dining hall staff, which has made students feel seen and valued.
Debby’s perspective echoes the sentiment that kindness is a universal language that transcends boundaries.
“Kindness doesn’t cost you anything,” she emphasizes, underscoring the profound impact simple gestures can have on building a beloved community.
The day’s program will transition to advisory sessions, where students will engage in meaningful discussions about what makes Tabor a beloved community and explore the individual roles each person can play in sustaining this. Ms. RoseMarie Wallace, the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Belonging, worked to include many voices in the day’s planning and expressed her hope that by delving into Martin Luther King Jr.’s work, the Tabor community can expand the concept of beloved communities within their own context.
Through dialogue and reflection, Tabor aims to foster a deeper understanding of the beloved community concept and inspire each member to contribute to the ongoing legacy of Dr. King’s vision. As the campus unites in shared reflection and gratitude, Tabor’s MLK Day celebration promises to be a reminder of the power of community, kindness, and the pursuit of social justice in the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Donate to The Log

Your donation will support the student journalists of Tabor Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.