64° Marion, MA

The Log

The Student News Site of Tabor Academy

The Log

The Log

A Midwesterner’s Guide to the Snow

Expert advice from a fellow student
Molly Rodenbush

Has there ever been a moment at Tabor Academy when confusion consumed you? For some students at Tabor, this could be a test that you did not study for or a research essay you have no research about, but for many students, this moment is their first Tabor snowfall. 

Born and raised in the Midwest, I have witnessed some dramatic weather changes: specifically, the aggressive snow. When the transition from fall to winter arrives, the Midwest knows how to attack the weather head-on without fear or remorse. Generally, on a thirty-degree day after a blizzard, you could find some Midwestern people saying, “What a nice day it is today.” 

Coming to Tabor I was concerned when all my friends noted how cold they were in forty-degree weather. This was hot compared to the time I survived the polar vortex in the Midwest.  

As an expert on winter, I have created a helpful tool to beat the Tabor winters… A Midwesterner’s Guide to the Snow! 

Invest in a windbreaker to put under a jacket.  

Winter puffer coats these days are outrageously expensive due to all the inflation. So, instead of spending your whole year’s allowance at Tabor on a big jacket, invest in a windbreaker to wear under your jacket. The whole point of a windbreaker is to keep the wind out: They are specifically designed to fulfill this purpose. The windbreaker-under-jacket combo is a professional way to attack the snow and cold temperatures. You are getting warmth, style, and protection from the wind, which can make us feel even colder. 

Avoid any type of suede boots when it’s snowing outside! 

I find a lot of people at Tabor have this misconception that suede boots (Uggs) are perfect for snow. Though they are fashionable, and I personally adore them, they are not waterproof with or without water-resistant spray. Suede stains from water and those $300 boots you bought for the snow will be ruined. Instead, purchase a leather boot! A leather boot is cheaper, and in my opinion, looks more chic.  

Layers are your best friend. 

In the wintertime, a t-shirt and sweatpants will not be enough coverage to battle the wind and temperature. Once the temperature dips below 40, it is time to bring out the layers. Layering helps you stay warm because the layers lock in the heat. For example, if it is severely cold, and your casual pants and sweater combo is not helping your body stay warm, wear leggings under your pants to insulate yourself. 

Finally, take time to enjoy it.

Snow doesn’t last very long around here. Revel in it while you can!

Donate to The Log

Your donation will support the student journalists of Tabor Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.